This post contains information about software I’ve written, and is updated as often as need be (whoops, kind of breaking away from the whole ‘blog’ idea with this!). Anyway, what follows is a summary of some of my past and present works.
Unless otherwise stated, these works are under a ‘contact-me-if-you-want-to-do-anything-with-them‘ license – i.e. If you want to redistribute, modify, sell, etc. any of this (which is highly doubtful, but still..), you need to contact me first and see what I say. I’d like to think I’m a reasonable guy, so most likely my answer will be ‘sure, do whatever you want, guy!’, but all the same. Contact me. Contacting me can be done via the comments of this post (oh, the wonders of blogs!). Where possible, I’ve included source (if it isn’t included, likelihood is I’ve since lost it).
Right, anyway, the software:
I wrote a big patch for gxine that vastly improves the interface. This was mostly for my PDA, but it works great on the desktop too. This is, of course, under the GPL. Here’s a quick before and after:
Link to Sourceforge bug, with attached patch
Link to .deb for Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary)
Operating Systems coursework 1, 2004
We were given a simple operating system and the task was to add structure and design/implement an API. This was a group coursework, which I worked on with Luke Jennings. We added memory management, generic device and file management, some simple API calls and Unicode in the form of UTF-8 encoding support.
You will almost certainly need a recent Bochs to get this working, and I’ve not tried it under anything but Linux (obviously, that should make no difference, but all the same).
DecaDrop 2© (alpha)
The sequel to DecaDrop©. This was really going somewhere (check out the great graphics, by my lovely girlfriend :)), but I didn’t have the time to finish it. I do plan on re-programming it from scratch some time in the near future. Unfortunately, I also used Python to code this, so it runs pretty slowly. Unfortunately again, I didn’t really get object-oriented programming at the time, so the code’s pretty all-over-the-place too. Oh well, nevermind – still fun! This requires python (>=2.2 I think), pygame, and optionally psyco. If you don’t have psyco, you might have to edit the code and take out the first three lines of code (ignore lines that start with ‘#’). Arrows keys, a, z and space are the controls – They’re obvious when you use them in the game.
DecaDrop©: Christmas Edition
One of the larger projects I’ve worked on that I actually finished (or semi-finished). This is the gameboy advance version of my puzzle game DecaDrop©. It runs on the hardware and, as such, all good emulators.
The original first version of DecaDrop©, my beloved puzzle game. You make vertical lines of 4 or more consecutive coloured blocks by shifting rows left and right and rotating the grid. Simple, but fun to play, even if I do say so myself. This version requires Windows.
Something I made when I was bored one day – Stick post-it notes on your screen (if you run Windows). On first run it creates a config file in its directory, fiddle around with it to customise it (it has strict formatting, so don’t be surprised if you start up and it crashes/doesn’t appear/works wrongly).
Just something I whipped up in a few hours ages ago because I fancied coding something. Nothing special – requires Windows, uses the mouse for control (I think).